Monday, September 21, 2009

Reading Challenge - Book 1


To begin the reading challenge we're doing at work, I picked Uprising by Margaret Peterson Haddix. I started reading and realized quickly that this book was not catching my interest. I gave it a few chapters and put it back. Next I tried Swiss Family Robinson (because I love the movie) and after reading for 20 minutes and not even making it through 11 pages, I gave up on it. It felt like they were speaking another language - at least to me. I'm sure these are both wonderful books to the right reader, but that reader was most certainly not me.

After two strikes, I figured I had to pick a book that I KNEW I would get through, so after about 20 years of absence, the Hardy Boys reentered my life!

I wanted to start with #1, but of course it was checked out. Had I been willing to dig through boxes in my attic, I could have found it since I own the book. Unfortunately I haven't seen the book since I was about 10. So, instead, I chose to start with #7: The Secret of the Caves.

In The Secret of the Caves, Frank and Joe Hardy are helping their father with two mysteries at the same time. First, their father needs help with a case involving mysterious happenings at a radar site close to the Hardys' home. But then they become involved in another mystery - a missing college professor. As they investigate these mysteries, they meet some very unusual characters - another college professor who seems a bit off and tries to run some of the Hardys' friends off the road. They also meet a hermit who seems to be bordering on certifiably insane.

The mysteries lead them to Rockport and the Honeycomb Caves. The Hardy Boys and their friends seem to turn into danger magnets throughout the story. From bashes over the head and being tied to railroad tracks, to booby traps, fires, bombs, and imposters, this book has it all. It's sure to keep the interest of even the youngest of mystery fans.

I'm counting this book as one of my traditional/classic literature books because it is timeless and always popular. Next, I'm reading Phineas L. MacGuire Gets Slimed! and I'm currently listening to Elsewhere on CD.

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment